The main harvest time for rhubarb is in the early summer, but we’ve got a bunch of chopped rhubarb in our freezer so we have been looking for a tasty way to use it. When visiting family recently, we were introduced to this delicious dish, and I just knew we had to get the recipe! If you’ve got some rhubarb growing or know someone who does, from what I understand you can still harvest a little of it. You just don’t want to take all the stalks off. So, get your hands on some rhubarb and head into the kitchen for some baking fun!
- 8T butter ( 1 stick)
- 3lbs diced rhubarb (6 Cups) If using frozen/thawed rhubarb, drain most of the juice.
- 1/2 pint sliced strawberries (1 Cup)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cup flour (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts
1) Preheat oven to 375. Grease 3 quart baking dish. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, white sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and cinnamon. Put in baking dish.
2) In a bowl, combine remaining cup flour, brown sugar, oats/nuts, and melted butter. Sprinkle over rhubarb-strawberry mixture. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon and nuts on top.
3) Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes until topping is crisp and brown.
4) Serve alone or with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt. Very good the next day too!
In Joyful Surrender